I was such a proud person when my boss (at the time) said “No man is an island”. I didn’t understand it at the time but after doing 2 businesses for 6 years I can officially say “I get it!”.
I had someone recently tell me that it was my choice to grow my business by collaboration, and that I needed to respect her decision not to. I was left extremely confused, as she wrote this comment in a Facebook Group, where everyone was in the business of… collaborating!
To collaborate doesn’t mean that you relinquish control of your business – quite the opposite. It empowers you to have MORE control of your business and to grow it in ways you hadn’t possibly considered.
Ego says I can do it all myself, humility says I need others to help.
Ego says I know it all, humility says I don’t know everything and I can learn from others.
Ego says I don’t need to collaborate, humility says we all needs to support each other to grow.
Ego says I’m better than everyone, humility says I have something to learn from everyone.
- Had someone refer you work.
- Been active in a Facebook group.
- Been a guest blogger.
- Had someone give you useful advice.
- Been to a networking or conference function.
- Had a coach/mentor or hired someone for their skills.
- Been interviewed on a podcast.
- Brainstormed ideas with a buddy.
- Had a whinge about your business to someone that knows.
Take the journey with others, it’s more fun that way!